oldschool CxC

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

For me, I'm going thru some Hard Times --> July 4th, ended relationship, ex-fiance moved out. Back to solo, guess that's OK. It better be! My mantra for the day is "Be the change you want to see in the world" (Ghandi).

And achievement: On July 3rd turned 10 years clean and sober. Not a beer or joint for 10 yrs!
Impossible to imagine, improbable for someone like me. At one time I wouldn't have desired such an accomplishment, but at 35 I feel blessed to have truly and deeply experienced my life for the last decade -- b/c life is so fleeting anyways.


Also saw Wes and his troops blow thru the Bay Area. Tisha & 3 (Kieran, Caleigh, and Maya) will be staying in Nova Scotia for 5-6 mo's coming soon, and Wes will be up there a lot. But he'll also have a vacant house and maybe too much time on his hands, so ... if you were buds & you got his digits, give him a buzz! Or hit me up & I can supply the code.
Jeremy P (Wes' cuz) is also in Marin right now, recovering from some medical issues. I saw him and he seemed OK, hopefully will continue that way.

I took an After Effects class at bavc.org last week, told my work it was UNIX class. Wow, that was an amazing class. I'm feeling like I'm moving closer & closer to where I'm supposed to go. Exciting.
Also re-newed biz licenses on 7/3 in Oakland (had 'em prvsly only in SF) for threewaysmedia(.com), rekzkarz.com, and R.E. (the name I use for my digital art).

Anyone else out there doing video stuff? How's it goin'?

Lastly, I like the new CxC layout. Looks the best so far. I noticed we have some names I'm not familiar with: Ian & W. Don't ring any bells from Culver. Doesn't look like I can click people's names to see stuff -- so do we get any hints?

2 Comments:

Blogger $9,000,000,000 Write Off said...

Ian is my brother who lives up in SF, drinking the same water as you. Congrats on the sober life.

Not sure why a lady who delivers a snarling F.U. to Glenn, and jacks up the cost of insurance for all the others on the board deserves "props", but I guess that's just you being you.

2:15 PM  
Blogger R·E said...

Actually, Glenn's explanation was very informative. I didn't realize it worked that way.

Glenn, I hope the good karma you do is returned to you 10x.

re: that user saying "F.U." to Glenn, I didn't see it that way initially. I do see how Glenn (and Sony) might see it that way now that I hear you viewpoints, but I still wonder if they were saying they deserved the medical attention regardless of their poverty.
(Maybe that's NOT what they were saying and I'm incorrect?)

Re: socialized medicine, I've been to multiple countries with socialized medicine (Spain, Austria, Australia, Canada, Germany, Czech Repub, and Israel) and I never experienced any delay waitin for forms or clearances before getting treatment.
I did have to pay a nominal fee in some locations for a visit (I believe the most was $20), and in Austria I had to visit a govt office during work hours to get that $ back.

Considering how many billions of $$$ are so easily given away by us tax-payers to go kill Iraqi (and other) peoples, it's very curious to me that there is so much outrage at the huge 'burden' of the social expense of medical care. (And the enormous expense is ludicrous, propagandized, and untrue, but that's another matter.)

The way I see it is world govts view military expense as a positive, socialized medical expenses as a negative, and any social 'welfare' expenses for poor people as bad. Why? B/c they see no return on the expense for helping poor people...

I heard this argument when I was living in Australia, particularly from the more openly racist political parties.

You guys seem to think I'm on crack, but having just recently re-read "1984" (Orwell) and currently reading "Why I Write" (Orwell), I don't think I'm tripping out.

The virtue I think we don't share is idealism. In my heart, I believe there are more humane ways of living and being that could be actualized. Even if 'man is an animal' and selfish at heart, I don't think man has to leave a legacy of destruction in order to 'enhance and improve' life quality or secure his own position in the hierarchy.

I believe that education and increased awareness can help people to make better decisions.

For instance:
If people really knew the horrible cruelty of the meat industry, and the negative effects of eating 'tortured' animals, most people would (at least try to) eat free-range meat or go veg.

If people know the effects of eating GM foods or hormone foods, they would try to eat organic foods.

If people really know the impact of war violence (by having friends/family 'on the wrong side' or merely knowing innocents that are killed/kidnapped/tortured) they will reconsider a positive view of war.

People who lack information can make the wrong choices in error.

Perhaps this is illustrated by how I interpreted Glenn's patient's comment?

But now that I have insight into Glenn's information & viewpoint, I can see that perhaps I was off.

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home