oldschool CxC

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The answer to the question is...Elemental Gearbolt. (I couldn't find a good link to truly represent how good this game was and is.) The difficulty, interestingly enough, had been increased for the American market.

And on the subject of topics, it should be readily apparent to most that a lot of my entries are dealing with the subject of games--all sorts included. Of course, this is due to the simple fact that I have been a gamer for several years, starting from wargames and moving to RPG's, and finally console/computer games.

Overall, I think that the evolution of videogames from the "infinite" type of game seen in the early days of gaming to the "goal directed" type was vital to maintain interest in the games as a whole. Additionally, "competitive" type game brought some minor level of social interaction to the medium which was largely a solo form of entertainment. The newest type of game maybe the "social" type. Most games these days can be broadly categorized into one of these basic themes. (with exceptions, of course, being the rule)

When you note that game consoles and game companies are tracked and followed and researched (original document, PDF link) just as biotech companies, it would seem that games are firmly implanted into our culture.

What will be interesting is how games will continue to evolve.

3 Comments:

Blogger Samuel said...

elemental gearbolt, wow that would be worth playing again. i loved the 2 player action. i don't usually like games with patterns, but for some reason i was crack like addicted to knowing where every little thing was coming from.

look at games like WoW that are not only a subculture of our society, but a society in and of itself.

9:28 AM  
Blogger REkz said...

I'm old-school w/games and somewhat concerned about playing WoW and other MMORPGs. I hear that they are addictive, and knowing myself could imagine playing them for hours, days on end.

When Eric told me how much Everquest he'd played, it made me determined to not play anything like that for a long time.

I'm still hooked on Master of Magic, an old (and now free) classic DOS strategy classic, and the newer versions of Rogue, ie NetHack and Slash'Em albeit with graphics. I've also played way too much Heroes of Might & Magic 2, 3, and 4.

Occasionally I've played console games, and we had a PS2 at my last place. Didn't really love any of those games, but I had a bunch. Actually, my roommate got into solving 'The Matrix' videogame, and he spent like 100+ hours solving it, I think.

Lately, I enjoy playing boardgames with friends. Been playing Settlers of Catan (a classic), altho the computer adaptation isn't very fun, and some other coolios I'd be happy to recommend.

What's funny is I'm also old-school w/lots of software, like Photoshop, Acrobat and others --> the older versions are often easier, lack certain features I often hate, and are smaller & faster. However, this is not the case w/lots of music software or MS Office (but onl b/c of Outlook '03).

5:12 PM  
Blogger A. said...

New Nintendo controller

caught a documentary (techTV or the other one) on
Shigeru Miyamoto
can you believe this dude came up with Donkey Kong, Mario, Zelda, and
more

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home